This is an opportunity which will offer you the possibility of being the go-to-person for all legal-related matters in the Southern European region, while being part of a solid international group.
Role & Key Responsibilities
Based in Porto (Portugal) and reporting to the Managing Director for the Southern Europe, and being in close coordination with the HQ in-house counsel, the candidate will provide legal support to the Portuguese, Spanish and Italian markets. The role will include:
- Providing legal advice and support on a wide range of activities;
- Drafting and negotiating contracts related to renewable energy / PtX projects from an IPP standpoint.
- Coordinating and reviewing legal due diligences.
- Assisting with all legal matters connected to the development of renewable energy and PtX projects, including securing of land, licensing procedures, construction, procurement, PPA’s as well with the operation and maintenance of built Plants.
- Advising and coordinating external advisors on the context of M&A transactions: due diligence, share purchase agreements and other ancillary arrangements.
- Negotiating and advising on joint venture agreements, shareholders agreements and consortium agreements.
- Being the liaison with external law firms for any legal matters assigned for external advisory.
- Advising on and securing compliance of the business operations with the Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and EU regulatory frameworks and laws.
- Assisting and ensuring compliance with the specific Portuguese energy regulatory framework throughout the project development, construction and operation phases.
- Advising on general business law issues and managing – directly or through external law firms – the issues of all areas of the different subsidiaries (governance and corporate matters, labor, safety, insurance, etc).
- Anticipate and manage legal risks in connection with or resulting from the business strategy and operations.
- Cooperating with other counsels and members of the group.
- Participating and leading, in a proactive manner, a different range of public affairs initiatives.
- Being permanently updated on new energy regulation, in particular in the wind and solar industries.
- University degree in Law with strong academic credentials.
- Fluency in Portuguese and English, with strong communication skills in both languages.
- At least 3 years of experience at a top-10 Law Firm.
- Experience from working within renewable energy (Wind/Solar/PtX), either from law firm and/or a renewable energy company with similar role.
- Strong legal experience in at least some of the following: energy, corporate, commercial contracts and/or real estate matters.
- Experience in complying with national and local regulation under the scope of licensing PV projects in Portugal.
- Solid knowledge of the wind and solar business as well as general business law issues of an IPP, including regulatory framework in the relevant geographic area.
- Ability to work in several projects in different geographies at the same time.
- Written and oral communication skills in Spanish and/or Italian.
- Experience in M&A, project finance, Balance of Plant/Construction contracts.
- Mix of professional experience in a law firm and in a renewable energy firm.
- Experience with green hydrogen / PtX projects.
- Experience with Portuguese public law.