Our client are a rapidly growing investor, owner, operator and developer of renewable energy projects. They have a particular focus upon onshore and offshore wind energy development and an expanding portfolio. As such, and exciting opportunity has opened for an experienced and ambitious Lead Offshore Development Manager to join them on a full-time, permanent basis. There is flexible working available with this opportunity, however, candidates must be willing to be in their offices in Scotland circa 2-3 days per week.
This role is a significant opportunity to influence and support delivery of the business’ portfolio growth. They need an experienced Development Manager with wide experience of leading teams and managing key stakeholders and regulators through the development cycle. In addition, the Lead Development Manager will manage consenting inputs to acquisition processes and will work closely with transaction teams in due diligence processes.
This role will place you in a key position, managing the project development across the portfolio and supports the acquisition of such projects and leads on new site bidding rounds offshore. You will have the opportunity to direct development strategy and grow in line with the portfolio you will help create. A deep knowledge and understanding of the renewable energy development process and EIA requirements will be required, as will an innovative approach when understanding and resolving consenting and commercial issues.
This role is a new position that seeks to diversify the team; our client are therefore looking for a candidate who relishes the opportunity of building a team and spearheading the creation of new opportunities for the business. Whilst a knowledge of consenting is a given, the successful candidate will be required to demonstrate their ability to build and lead teams and inspire new thinking.
- Provision of environment and consenting input to the wider project team.
- Oversee identification, consenting and land acquisition activities for new onshore development opportunities.
- Provide leadership and mentoring of the environment and consents team working on onshore developments.
- Provide proactive management of key relevant internal and external stakeholder interests including regulators and consultees and work closely with the Stakeholder Manager /Communications Officer to support engagement with local communities.
- Ensure the monitoring, reporting and mitigation of consenting risks across the business’ onshore development portfolio.
- Provide advice and support to project development managers and asset managers for all onshore projects in the portfolio.
- Manage and conduct environmental and consenting due diligence for new acquisitions in the portfolio.
- Provide environmental, consenting and technical expertise for bids for acquisition of greenfield development sites.
- Provide presentation and reporting of strategic consent issues to the project teams/board.
- Strong interpersonal skills including engagement with regulators, communities and landowners.
- Effective negotiation skills.
- Strong organisational and project management skills.
- High degree of commercial focus.
- Exemplary oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills, with a strong inclination toward team building.
- Multi-skilled self-starter, with high levels of energy & commitment to deliver on time, within budget and to a satisfactory standard.
- Leadership skills – leading and mentoring teams and providing senior level strategic inputs.
- Deep knowledge and experience of planning/consenting activities relevant to onshore wind farms.
- A sound understanding of the regulatory framework for renewables deployment.
- Ideally to have established, positive relationships with key statutory consultees.
- Experience in undertaking due diligence for acquisition of renewable energy projects.
- Degree in relevant discipline i.e. Planning, Environmental, Legal, or Commercial Specialism).