WTG EngineerPosted 24 days ago
The position is in London with flexibility on work from home or elsewhere with regular visits to London. Frequent business travel in Europe and possibly further afield may be required for this post.
Our client is looking for a WTG Engineer to join the Engineering team. You will work as part of the wider project development team enabling the project definition supporting in a variety of topics associated with the works.
The WTG Package Engineer will play a key role in defining the optimal solution for the part of the scope associated with the project. This role with report to our client’s Head of Technical. The WTG Engineer will support the WTG package manager within the JV structure and will provide support in leading the package’s engineering strategy during the development phase of the project, as well as supporting procurement activities if and where required to achieve a successful FID.
The successful candidate will have strong project management skills and knowledge of WTG technologies including overall construction and commissioning of offshore wind farms which are required for an offshore wind farm. Experience working in offshore wind is not required though this will be an advantage, and transferable skills from a related industry will be necessary.
The WTG Package Engineer will be responsible for supporting the delivery of the Wind Turbine Generator (WTG) supply, installation and commissioning works, including but not limited to project engineering, document control and construction planning and execution activities. The role requires strong collaboration with other technical, commercial and legal aspects of the project, and will include leading on aspects of interface management, commissioning coordination and construction planning works, as required by WTG Package Manager.
The WTG Package Engineer will support the WTG Package Manager in delivering on all aspects of the WTG package works, including interfacing with other disciplines and packages within the project. Support to the WTG Package Manager in the engineering and detailed design phase of the package, from both a technical and project management perspective. Play an active role in WTG document management and delivering on key package requirements. Provide good and clear communication with internal and external package stakeholders. Manage and appropriately prioritise discrete work packages alongside delivering within larger work packages with shared responsibilities.
- Support the WTG package through WTG supply, installation, commissioning and handover to O&M.
- Management of subconsultants ensuring that HSSE requirements are appropriately accounted for in the designs and that quality requirements are met.
- Develop a detailed knowledge of the employer requirements, the WTG, the construction programme and the associated interfaces as required. Undertake and appropriately document technical assessments of package options, managing inputs from internal and external sources.
- Identify and manage interfaces between the WTG package and other work packages in accordance with the project’s interface management system.
- Provide ongoing technical support to other technical and non-technical departments (Consenting & Environment, Stakeholders, Procurement, H&S, Project Control, etc.) as necessary across the project lifecycle to ensure the successful completion of the project.
- Provide confident and competent management of contractors.
- Promote good practice in respect to quality, health, safety and environment within the WTG package’s scope, including ensuring all project procedures and policies are implemented.
- SCADA support throughout the commissioning and handover of the WTG assets as well as supporting Grid testing.
- Any other support as required from the WTG Package Manager.
- Reviewing and/or preparation technical specifications, schedules and other technical documentation, and contributing to related WTG Works.
- Management of technical documentation, including coordination of inputs from other project packages, and external parties such as consultants.
- Provide support in facilitating and documenting technical review of OEM platforms and provide the required inputs to any evaluation models / reports generated.
- Manage the Technical Queries and/or Communication Note tracking for the WTG Package.
- Provide cover for WTG package engagement with document control system.
- Tracking and review of all WTG NCRs, component deliveries, SoQs, walkdown inspection and take over inspections.
- Consent compliance tracking with the WTG supplier.
- Contribute to RAMS review for all relevant WTG Package Works.
- Management and tracking of the As-Built documentation to be handed over the O&M.
- Support the requirements of the WTG Package in maintaining effective and organised control of construction works, with focus on safety, quality, cost, and programme.
- Produce and present other reports to the project team, project management and or external parties as necessary during the course of the project.
- Be degree educated in engineering or a related field with extensive years of experience
- Be chartered or working towards chartered status
- Have strong relationship management skills
- Have highly transferable skills from a related industry (for those without offshore wind experience)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in multicultural environments, with the ability to enable effective discussion and cooperate with international partners in a constructive manner.
- Ability to proactively drive positive change.
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English.
- Significant years’ experience ideally with the majority in the offshore wind sector specifically working with Turbine Supply Agreements and/or Service and Maintenance Agreements
- Knowledge and understanding of UK energy supply chain sector, industry organizations and practices.
- Knowledge of the WTG OEM technologies is required
- Experience in reviewing technical documentation required for TSA and SMA contracts
- Basic understanding of the UK Contract for Difference (CFD) process
Specific Role Competencies
- Ability to carry out/ participate in optioneering to obtain the most favourable outcomes/ solutions
- Previous experience and knowledge in offshore wind farm construction
- Good understanding of risk mitigation practices.
- Good understanding of CDM duties within the UK
- Knowledge in offshore construction programme as well as the interfacing packages schedules
- As a minimum, an understanding of EN 50308, CDM Regulations, Health and Safety at Work Act, LOLER, PUWER.
- A good knowledge of WTG technology, with offshore WTGs and installation methods an advantage. Knowledge of the relevant regulations, codes and standards.
- Proficient in basic Microsoft packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project).
- Facilitates and supports creative solutions to problems.
- Ability to work and deliver against challenging constraints.
- Excellent organization skills with the ability to manage own workload, meet timescales and coordinate a number of external and internal stakeholders, sometimes under tight timescales.