Head of EngineeringPosted 31 days ago
Our client is looking for an experienced Head of Engineering to join their team. The Head of Engineering will lead Our Client’s Engineering and Technical team, ensuring oversight and lead of all technical aspects across the Project Portfolio, supporting Project and Corporate Development, Delivery, Construction and Operation Departments along the project lifecycle, with internal and external third-party resources (Owner´s Engineers, Technical Advisors, Consultants, EPC Partners).
- Strategical lead of our client's Engineering Team while managing relationships with key internal and external stakeholders at all stages of the pipeline lifecycle: from origination, to development, procurement and financing, construction and operation:
- Technical lead and oversight during development, performing feasibility studies, as well interacting with their development partners across multiple geographies, reviewing their deliverables (layouts, single line diagrams, energy yield assessment, interconnection agreements, environmental assessments…), providing guidance on the technical characteristics of solar and storage projects, in coordination with their Project Development team.
- Provides key input to Investment Committee analysing new opportunities and highlighting technical opportunities and risks.
- Oversight and lead of all the Technical due diligence processes for acquisition or divestment of projects and financial close processes interacting with external technical advisors, sellers, or buyers.
- Oversight and lead of the technical facet during procurement phase in coordination with Our Client’s Procurement Manager: definition of technical specifications for EPC and HV contractors and key suppliers. Technical evaluation of contractor’s proposals. Technical negotiation with suppliers and contractors: technical spec, deliverables, standards, schedule of design documents, performance guarantees, etc. Lead Front End Engineering Design (FEED) when required in projects ahead of Financial Close, including site studies (topographic report, geotechnical surveys, hydrological studies).
- Oversight and lead of all technical aspects during construction in coordination with Our Client’s Project Manager during pre-construction and construction phases, supervising EPC contractor and suppliers’ documentation and detailed designs (drawings, specifications, standards, templates, processes), integrating lessons learned into Employer’s Requirements with Procurement team. Cover field engineering, supporting project manager and owners engineer on site with complex technical issues during construction, until operational phase.
- Technical oversight and support, ad-hoc, to Asset Management team during the operational phase of the projects.
- Establish, organizes and optimizes strong technical and commercial relationship with industry leading technical service providers with purchase orders and contracts including Technical advisors, Technical consultants, Owners Engineering firms.
- Retains, recruit, develop a world-class an Engineering team to provide best-in-class support to the business.
- Engage and closely collaborates with Heads or Directors of Development, Delivery and Procurement, Grid, Construction Director, Asset Management, Legal, Compliance, Health and safety, to integrate these specialisms in projects and engineering into those functions, define and achieve company goals.
- Established report on technical progress of the project portfolio, providing insightful risk and opportunity analysis to team and management as well proposing new KPIs to booster efficiency.
- Channel and distribute workload, prioritizing the competing required activities, among the team members, negotiating new deadlines if required, anticipating business needs in order to optimize level of detail of the inputs and outputs to be delivered.
- Develop the Engineering team as Centre of Technical Excellence, mentoring Engineering team members, establishing specialized training requirement for them with internal or external resources. Provide technical training to colleagues across the company.
- Develop Design for Safety in every project across the company, guiding consultants, advisors and EPC partners during the detailed design phase.
- Oversees Technical site visits, controlling technical aspects but also quality control and health and safety assessments.
- Participate in Engineering forums with other industry leaders, assessing opportunities of new technologies, new product roadmaps analysis and feasibility.
What will you need to succeed in the role?
- Significant experience leading top performing Engineering teams in renewable energy projects (solar and storage preferred) during the development, design, procurement, construction and operation in various markets (UK, Italy, Spain, France, Greece are a plus). From greenfield and site identification stage, through the environmental assessment processes to getting all project permits and authorisations.
- A degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Civil/Structural)
- Have great leadership and interpersonal skills and an ability to successfully manage the team, and many stakeholders of the project portfolio including technical advisors, consultants, project managers, owner´s engineers, investors, EPC companies design & engineering offices, suppliers (inverter, tracker, modules, HV equipment).
- Interested in working on new opportunities in an innovative and dynamic environment.
- English language is a must. Italian, Spanish, French, Greek a plus.
- Must have strong technical and commercial acumen and related negotiation skills during all phases of the project with internal and external parties at different levels of the companies and/or external
- Excellent communication skills, with ability to participate in senior level discussions (Executive and Operational committees) and with external leadership team.
- Independent self-starter, with attention to detail with the ability to manage a multidisciplinary team, with variable workload across multiple geographies and to key deadlines while working closely with the engineering team.