Our client are rapidly growing renewable energy developer based in Scotland and are fast becoming one of the major names within the sector. As such, an exciting opportunity has opened for a highly experienced Chief Investment Officer to join them on a full-time, permanent basis and hold responsibility for the business’ growth strategy. The successful candidate will bring strong transaction execution skills and commercial thinking to the business and will develop a network of relationships globally to ensure growth objectives are achieved.
Develop growth strategy
- Manage the Strategy & Analysis team to identify the best countries and markets for the business to invest in to meet its growth objectives.
- Undertake formal market analyses to assess new markets and business models.
- Make recommendations to the CEO, SEC and Board about new market opportunities.
- Provide regular updates to shareholders about market developments in countries and markets of interest including an assessment of the likely impact of these developments on the business.
Oversee the company’s investment activities
- Act as a key member of the business’s Investments Committee.
- Oversee the Investments team, led by the Senior Investment Manager, to ensure that the opportunities being pursued are in line with the company’s strategy.
- Originate new investment opportunities for the Investments team to evaluate.
- Maintain and manage network of external contacts to originate new investment ideas.
- Provide input into business cases and investment approval processes.
- Ensure that investments are evaluated objectively and using consistent criteria.
- Develop the company’s internal forecasting capabilities
- Build the business’s internal forecasting capabilities so that the company can form its own view of macroeconomic assumptions (including power prices) and the future development of the markets in which the company operates.
- Provide regular market updates to shareholders summarising the most recent developments in the markets and industries of interest.
· Maintain strong links with the investment banking community, advisors and other market participants across Europe to gather intelligence and source new transaction opportunities.
· Develop and manage relationships with internal stakeholders who support investment and financing processes.
· Strengthen and develop their existing partnerships with other industry participants.
· Provide regular updates on market developments and strategic opportunities.
· Ensure effective workload management and resource allocation in the Strategy & Analysis and Investment teams.
- Coach and develop individual team members to support career growth and the achievement of business objectives.
- At least 10 years’ experience in M&A and financing.
- Clear understanding of project finance and M&A transactions
- M&A execution skills and valuation modelling experience.
- Relevant University degree and any related professional qualifications.
- In-depth understanding of the renewable energy market.
- Experience with high level financial modelling.
- Experience managing a growing team.
- Highly developed communication and influencing skills with gravitas and ability to build relationships at a senior level with key stakeholders.
- Politically astute with a self-confident demeanour.
- Strong analytical skills with the capability to summarise information clearly and concisely across both technical and commercial matters.
- Innovative approach to problem solving.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.