What is the Role?
Our client is involved with both electricity transmission and distribution in the UK and are looking for a talented System Performance Engineer to join their System Performance team on a full time permanent basis.
The main responsibility of this position will be to undertake power system studies to support the integration of low carbon generation and related technologies onto the transmission system in the north of Scotland.
Their System Performance team provides an advanced simulation capability which includes cutting edge large scale EMT modelling using PSCAD on a dedicated simulator.
The key duties & responsibilities will be:
- Undertake detailed simulation studies to support the connection of renewable generation, FACTS devices, HVDC links and railway feeder stations.
- Help deliver innovation projects ensuring that our business is at the forefront of new developments in system modelling and monitoring.
- Support the operation of our network by assisting the with analysis of events and disturbances.
- Be a representative in external meetings and on industry workgroups.
Requirements for the role:
- Experience in power system analysis, design, and planning, ideally within the electricity transmission area, with working knowledge of the relevant industry and technical standards
- A deep understanding of power system modelling and analysis with experience in several of the following areas: load flow and short circuit calculations, dynamic (RMS) simulation, power quality and system monitoring, EMT simulation for transients, EMT simulation for control interaction studies and automation scripting.
- Experience with industry standard analysis tools such as PSS/E, Power Factory, PSCAD and Matlab/Simulink. Knowledge of the Python scripting language would also be advantageous.
- Good knowledge of the electricity industry, including interfaces with the regulator, the Electricity System Operator, other Transmission Owners, and Distribution Network Operators
- Ability to write clear and well-structured technical reports and specifications and provide focussed information for senior management.
- A degree in electrical engineering or related numerical discipline and ideally be a Chartered Engineer with a relevant institution.